Reduced Inequality for First Nations
The life of America’s first citizens, especially those now living on federal reservations, is quite different from the majority of Americans. Broken treaties, historic poverty, isolation, racism and injustice are still impacting Native Americans today. The tenth Sustainable Development Guide is Reduced Inequality, is particularly applicable to this people group who still face prejudice, suspicion, higher rates of abuse, and unequal treatment from police.
Volkhard and Marianne Graf are leaders of YWAM Native Ministries where they live and work on the Nez Perce Reservation western Idaho. At their ministry center they offer weekly Bible Studies, Community Nights for worship, prayer and teaching, host church and YWAM teams reaching out to the community with practical service, Youth Rallies, Basketball Camps, Kids programs and Open Air meetings. It is their prayer to see Native people released into missions, taking the salvation message about Creator Jesus into all the world.
PLEASE PRAY FOR:
- For Non-Natives to be willing to learn from their Native neighbors, seeking to understand them and extend friendship and hospitality.
- For improved relationships and reconciliation between Natives and Non-Natives living within or adjacent to reservations
- For recognition, compassion and healing of historical trauma and wounds suffered over decades of injustice.
- For economic development (Careers, jobs, that pay living wages, allowing Native families meaningful employment, the dignity of being productive, and the ability to provide well for their families)
- For us to be faithful in being kind, compassionate listeners and learners, offering the hope of healing and restoration through Christ with those who have all but given up hope.